All of the tempeh I made this week turned out well:
batch 1: 1/2 pound of soyabean tempe
I didn’t document this trial as well as I should have, but it weighed 1/2 pound at the end and took around 36 hours in the oven with the light on. I used inoculum from Summer Bock’s workshop in the fall and white wine vinegar. I only took a few minutes to rub the beans between my hands for dehulling, so it was very crumbly & developed a bit of a burnt-popcorn taste as a result, but it was super delicious and I ate it all in 2 days.
batch 2: (2x) 1/2 pound of soyabean tempe
I soaked 1/2 pound of dried soyabean from the co-op for 20 hours (8:15pm on 3/27 to 4:15pm) and dehulled them by hand, which took a half-hour, and still left a lot of hulls on. I boiled the dehulled beans in their soaking water plus an equal amount of tap water, for a total of about 3L. After a half hour, I drained them and dried with a towel. When they’d cooled, I inoculated with a very inexact sprinkling of starter left over from the fall workshop and white wine vinegar. I put the inoculated beans into two of the perforated ziploc bags I had been using in previous batches. The temperature inside the oven was 80F/27C with the light on. I placed the two bags side by side on a cookie sheet on the upper rack of the oven.
The bag that was closer to the light finished in 25 1/2 hours (6:00pm on 3/28 to 7:30pm on 3/29), while the other one took 36 1/2 (until 6:30am on 3/30). Both of them ended up with generous amounts of myceliation and sporulation. The first one didn’t hold together well enough to be worth cutting, so I crumbled it for cooking; the second one was cut-able but developed a burnt taste easily in the frying pan. I think this was due to the number of dehulled beans (which often fell out of cut pieces), so I started looking for easier methods for this step.
batch 3: 1/2 pound soyabean tempe, 1/2 pound of soyabean + quinoa tempe
Still using the same inoculum, although my GEM cultures order came in the afternoon. I soaked the last of my co-op soyabeans for 22 hours and then dehulled using the slicing attachment on my house’s food processor. This worked beautifully! Including finding all the parts and clean-up, it took five minutes to dehull 99% of the beans. I boiled the beans in their soak water and the rinse water from the food processor (no soap). ***IMPORTANT REMINDER: soybeans boil over pretty easily, and if you have a gas stove, it is very important to check that the flame is still on afterwards!*** They boiled for about 30 minutes, and then I poured some water over them to remove more hulls because I had forgotten to skim them off when there was lots of foam.
I inoculated with a 1/2 tsp of the original starter, and filled one bag with beans and half of another. To fill the second one, I boiled 2 cups of water and cooked 1/2 cup of white quinoa from the co-op for 10 minutes, then drained and dried them with a towel (which made a huge mess, but I was in a hurry). I added an 1/8th of a teaspoon of inoculant and some vinegar to this and mixed it with the soy in the bag. They went into the oven around 2pm on 3/31.
On 4/1, I switched the positions, so that the quinoa one was closer to the light, at 1:30pm. The soyabean bag was myceliated pretty well, but the quinoa hardly at all. At 7pm, the soyabean tempeh was done and I cooked some-it had a very sliceable texture and tasted great! The quinoa one smelled weird, in a way that leftover quinoa has started to smell in my fridge before.
This morning (4/2) I took the quinoa one out at 10:30am. It hadn’t been completely myceliated, but it was sporulating and smelled weird so I wanted to be done with it. To my surprise, it sliced the best of all the tempeh I had made so far, and it tasted delicious!
I’ve started a batch of black beans, but I cooked them until they were pretty mushy and didn’t dry them very well so I don’t have high hopes. I also ordered 25lbs of soy from the co-op!